Sunday 5 June 2011

You look as good as your outlook

I'm sorry for the lack of activity on my blog recently but unfortunately I have become some kind of revision monster. Perpetually (self)imprisoned in my room under a mountain of spider diagrams, practice papers and felt tip pens. Whilst I had convinced myself I didn't have the time, let alone the brain space, for a blog until the 17th June (the day of my last exam), I could do with a welcome distraction from periglaciation and Wuthering Heights.

Academia has ruined May, any student will tell you that revision is the most boring exercise you may ever have to do. Take something initially interesting and repeat it and repeat it until you beat your stubborn forgetful brain into submission. This may seem like a harsh view to take and I assure anyone not familiar with study leave that there are one or two benefits(see below). However this does not detract from the depressing and demoralising, seemingly never-ending nature of Revision...the untameable beast. What is more is that revision feels self-inflicted, especially when it comes to A2 revision, there's a uni place in your sights and a fear of failure pushing you to revise, conflicting nastily with a laziness and lack of concentration that lurks inside us all. To anyone who doesn't relate I'd say my emotional dial can lurche, leap and swing from motivation and proactivity to total apathy and procrastination several times per day.

However, having recently heard (and adopted) the phrase you look as good as your outlook, I choose to rise above all this negativity and search for the positive in any way that I can...
Despite the demoralising nature of study leave and all that it entails there are several ways to survive it with your mental health intact.

1 - any student will appreciate the constant proximity of the fridge during study leave, snacking is always a valid excuse for a break and yummy too.
2 - pyjamas all day and no reason to wash hair, shave legs or pluck eyebrows sounds like a good idea to me (yes I now resemble some kind of revision troll living in the cave of my bedroom)
3 - not to mention the promise of summer...my inter-railing trip around Italy is the only thing currently getting me through study leave, the promise of sun and spontaneity is crucial in order to preserve my mental health at the moment

There are, I am sure, many more benefits to be found and coping methods to try when it comes to the trials of tackling the revision monster (please let me know if you have any suggestions).

As far as I'm concerned plenty of tea and a sunny outlook will get you through anything.

Those of you reading in the throes of revision - I wish you luck in your exams and remember to look forward to the nice long summer to follow!

and to those of you currently not revising - please be sympathetic to your friends/family who are revising, I promise the mood swings and lack of sociability will become mere memories of May, until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment